Monday, June 2, 2014

Hands from heaven

One day, after looking trough all my old sketch books, I realized I had done a lot of hand sketches growing up. I drew my hands, my moms hands, I drew hands with no reference and hands with a reference. I was always so fascinated with hands and touch. To me, not only do they allow us to feel physically, they connect us emotionally to our surroundings. 

Anyways. I knew for this project I wanted to revert to my old ways and incorporate hands. 
I began by taking about fifteen pictures of my own hands (very difficult...) 

Here's just some of my references. 
After that, I sketched it onto my water color paper. The hand position was important in it's spots. I wanted to show the growth of love within the hands. 

At the top of the painting you can see the hands are holding a budding flower. That flower represents love and emotion. Holding it delicately, or pulling on it's petals will result in two differnent outcomes. While the flower doesn't bloom after pulling in it's petals, the hand holding the delicate flower grows into two hands entiretwined, forming a bond. It leads down to the single hand, dripping with emotion. 

It's almost as if the hands are reaching down from heaven for people of earth to grab onto. And I liked that. After showing my peers I got multiple opinions. One of love, and one of heaven. And the purpose of my art is to provoke thought and emotion and I was happy to see it was doing just that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment